WEST COLUMBIA, SC – Airport High School’s award-winning Army JROTC drill team finished second in the nation at the National High School Drill Team Championships, held this past weekend at Daytona Beach, Florida.
The national runner-up ranking is the best-ever finish for Airport’s Golden Talon team, which competed against the country’s best JROTC drill team programs from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines at the April 15-16 event. Airport’s team also competed April 14 at the All Army National Drill Team Championship in Daytona Beach, finishing third overall.
The latest awards for the Lexington Two high school drill team follow a series of top finishes in state and regional events this school year. Among them:
- First place overall in the Palmetto State Drill Team Championship. It is the 14th consecutive year Airport’s team has won the state championship.
- First place overall in the Greater Midlands Area Drill Team League Championship. It’s the 15th consecutive year Airport has placed first overall in the event.
- First place overall in the 4th Brigade Best of the Best, held in Hickory, North Carolina. It’s the ninth consecutive time Airport has finished first overall.
In addition to the national runner-up finish for the team at the National High School Drill Team Championship, other finishes at the event included:
- First Place: Platoon Regulation w/ Arms
- Second Place: Platoon Inspection w/Arms
- Second Place: Commanders Trophy (Cadet Command Sergeant Major Shamia Pelzer)
- Fourth Place: Platoon Exhibition w/ Arms
- Ninth Place: Color Guard
CSM Harry Ferguson, a senior Army instructor who leads Airport’s team, said he’s particularly proud of the team’s performance this year, given the challenges of COVID-19.